Couchsurfing is one of the most beautiful aspects of travelling for me at least. Read below and decide is it for you or?
Couchsurfing is a concept wherein there is a network of travellers or people who want to know more about other cultures, people, their countries. You can participate in it in multiple ways. As the tagline says it works and embraces the concept of “meet and stay with locals”.
- You can either host(make someone stay) in your house and try the same while you are travelling.
- You can also show them your city if you don’t have an appropriate place to share and try the same while you are at some new place.
- You can even stay in touch and help them with your local knowledge like where to go, where to shop, what best local food they can have, where could they get sim cards, how to commute effectively. You can take help from them when you are on the move.
So, as you have seen it is a two-way process. You can serve in this community as well as make use of this community when you are on the move. Couchsurfing is a combination of HOSTING, SURFING, and a COMMUNITY. The infographic below will illustrate the process of Surfing via Couchsurfing, just download this Couchsurfing app on your smartphone to stay connected while on the move.
IS COUCHSURFING ACTUALLY FOR YOU?
- Couchsurfing is all about meeting local people and travelling with their local knowledge. In short, it’s about meeting people, for that you need to be SOCIAL. If you aren’t social, go to a hotel/hostel/Airbnb.
- To embrace this concept of Couchsurfing in its true sense. You SHOULD spend some time with your host/guest. If you don’t have much time to entertain people. DONT go for it.
- You have to take care of your own safety. You have to maintain that thin line of difference between open, friendly and adventurous v/s risky situations. You SHOULD TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS.
- THANK YOU gesture towards your host for hosting you before you leave. It leaves an impact not only for you but for the whole community. You can play for them, cook for them, take them out for drinks, dinner, etc.
IS COUCHSURFING FREE?
I would prefer to answer this question based on my personal experience. Though it Doesn’t cost you anything upfront for making a booking or for staying like in Hotel. BUT it involves a lot of costs like
- Your host will be paying mostly for his valuable time.
- You will be paying your precious time out of your trip, with your host
- The host will be paying with the trust he put into hosting you at his place and you will be doing the same while staying at his place.
Is COUCHSURFING SAFE AND WORTH IT
I would say it all depends on your eye towards detail, listening to your instincts. If talking about worth, I think it is more than worth it, wherein you spend a little in terms of taking them to dinner, your time, trust. But what you get is friends, family for a lifetime. We may travel once to that place but relations are built for life. As Porter Gale says your network is your net worth at the end of the day.